[RE-wrenches] Shurflo pump

Allan Sindelar allan at sindelarsolar.com
Tue May 31 22:54:35 PDT 2016

Mac,
My experience is similar but slightly different. I have worked with the
Shurflo 9300 for nearly twenty years. I have closely followed the mfgr's
directions - even the temporary wrap of tape - and as far as I can
recall have had maybe one failure due to water penetration at the cable
gland. But I have seen a number of homeowner installs with this failure,
so it's easy to not get right. I agree that a fixed, sealed pigtail
would be a better approach, like a SunRotor, Grundfos or Lorentz.

The 9300 has a one-year warranty as I recall. Running open discharge
without float or time control, such as all day into a wildlife pond with
overflow, the pumps last about 1 1/2 years before needing the
diaphragm/drive kit and valve kit for a minor rebuild. If water never
reaches the motor, it will last through several of these lifetimes, but
usually folks don't do the service until the pump stops, and often a
failed diaphragm leads to water reaching the motor. But I have seen many
of these pumps go five or more years of intermittent duty needing nothing.

And the pump will run at less than half speed on a 12V battery. Standard
DC brush motor - speed and thus output vary directly with voltage.
Allan

*Allan Sindelar*
allan at sindelarsolar.com <mailto:allan at sindelarsolar.com>
NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
*505 780-2738 cell*

**