[RE-wrenches] Battery charging problems

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:16:50 PDT 2016

Propane generator expert here - certified Generac technician.

Chances are the problem lies with the fuel supply. Your inverter is working
better, taking more power, putting more current into the batteries.
Therefore the generator, which is well within it's rating, is taking more
fuel.
99% of propane generator problems are improperly specified or installed
propane or NatGas supply. Most people don't read the manual, and the
requirements are always more than people realize.
An 8KW propane unit will need a 3/4" line or more to develop full power. If
the fuel is being starved, it will run rough. It will only happen under
load.
Get hold of a manometer and measure the gas pressure at the internal
regulator. You should see a steady 11" WC for propane or 7" WC for NatGas.
Measure under load. If the pressure drops, there's your problem.

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Chris Daum <chris at oasismontana.com> wrote:

>  Dear people:
>
> I have an off-grid customer who has, in his system, a Magnum MS4448 and 16
> of the Rolls S550 batteries, a Kohler generator (and Trimetric meter and
> other components).  He upgraded his batteries this past March, and since
> he's installed his new batteries, the generator is running 'rough'.  He's
> at
> a great distance from our shop so a local business helps him from time to
> time. They believe that the "batteries are too  powerful for the 8.5 kw
> generator" and recommended  running it at 50 percent charge control. After
> 3
> hrs run, it seems to help but will mean more run time for his generator
> (and
> hence, use more fuel).  Have you ever heard of anything like this?
> Everything ran fund before the battery upgrade.
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Best,
>
> Chris Daum
> Oasis Montana Inc.
> 406-777-4309
> 406-777-0830 fax
> www.oasismontana.com

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts