[RE-wrenches] AFCI trip on metal roof

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Mar 23 15:16:41 PDT 2016

Hi Drake,

What model SMA inverter(s) and modules do you have? We had one case where a
MC4 connector under the array was not making good contact. It was not
seated properly when the installer made up the connector and the arc fault
sensor in the inverter did its job. We had another site where some
electrical noise on the AC side, presumably a sump pump, caused the issue
and we could not solve it so had to switch to another inverter
manufacturer. There were other cases where the impedance or other
electrical characteristics of the solar modules where the likely culprit.

Is your roof and array totally equipment grounded?

Best,

August