[RE-wrenches] Radian ROCB in Outback GSLC 120/240 AC

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 08:56:55 PST 2016

You are probably getting a shock from the neutral leg of the coil, looking
for a path to neutral. It's likely that there is not enough current to be
harmful.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Drake <drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
> wrote:

> Hello Wrenches,
>
> I'm hooking up a Radian with a Remote Operated Circuit Breaker for AC
> coupling.  With only the positive inverter cable connected, we found
> battery voltage at the negative inverter cable with all switches off. Humm.
>
> It turns out that the Remote Operated Circuit Breaker (ROCB) control
> circuit is the culprit. This is factory connected to the battery side of
> the main breakers in the GS Load Center. The voltage present gave my
> assistant a minor shock when he tried to hook the negative inverter cable
> to the battery.
>
> When the negative battery cable lug touched the negative battery terminal,
> a sound came from somewhere that sounded like a super fast relay chatter.
> One tech support person thought it could be the ROCB trying to close, as it
> was open (off) position. The tech support people are only able to speculate
> about what might be happening.
>
> Another tech support person said that if the factory wiring on the relays
> was correct, it would be impossible to get a shock. Going thought the
> diagram in figure 2 of the attachment, it looks to me that voltage would
> conduct to the negative battery cables if all the relay contacts were
> positioned as shown in figure 2.
>
> Has anyone hooked up the GSLC AC 120/240? Have you had any unusual
> voltages or noises before turning on the main DC breakers? From Figure 2,
> do you think it would be possible to get a complete circuit through the
> relays before the main breaker is turned on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drake
>

> *Athens Electric LLC OH License 44810 CO License 3773 NABCEP Certified
> Solar PV 740-448-7328 <740-448-7328> *http://athens-electric.com/

> virus-free computer protected by Avast.

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts