[RE-wrenches] Radian ROCB in Outback GSLC 120/240 AC

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Feb 4 08:33:55 PST 2016

Hello Wrenches,

I'm hooking up a Radian with a Remote Operated Circuit Breaker for AC
coupling.  With only the positive inverter cable connected, we found
battery voltage at the negative inverter cable with all switches off. Humm.

It turns out that the Remote Operated Circuit Breaker (ROCB) control
circuit is the culprit. This is factory connected to the battery side
of the main breakers in the GS Load Center. The voltage present gave
my assistant a minor shock when he tried to hook the negative
inverter cable to the battery.

When the negative battery cable lug touched the negative battery
terminal, a sound came from somewhere that sounded like a super fast
relay chatter. One tech support person thought it could be the ROCB
trying to close, as it was open (off) position. The tech support
people are only able to speculate about what might be happening.

Another tech support person said that if the factory wiring on the
relays was correct, it would be impossible to get a shock. Going
thought the diagram in figure 2 of the attachment, it looks to me
that voltage would conduct to the negative battery cables if all the
relay contacts were positioned as shown in figure 2.

Has anyone hooked up the GSLC AC 120/240? Have you had any unusual
voltages or noises before turning on the main DC breakers? From
Figure 2, do you think it would be possible to get a complete circuit
through the relays before the main breaker is turned on?

Thanks,

Drake

Athens Electric LLC
OH License 44810