[RE-wrenches] Clipping of microinverter output

Mike Kocsmiersky mikek at spiritsolar.net
Mon Oct 3 19:20:45 PDT 2016

Recently I've been concerned about power clipping of micro inverters and the
design ratio of PV STC array size to inverter.  If I have a 300W module
going into a 250W micro inverter, there will be times when the potential
power output is clipped because the micro inverter can't handle all the
power.  I'm thinking cold day with 1000W/m2 irradiance.  It is typical
nowadays to have an STC array size to inverter ratio of 1.2.  Have you seen
any analysis on how much energy is clipped, vs how much energy output is
increased by operating at a better efficiency spot on the micro inverter?
This assumes that the micro inverter performs better when more fully loaded.

Additionally over time the crystalline silicon module will degrade slightly
as well, reducing the amount of power clipping.

I welcome your thoughts.

Mike Kocsmiersky

Principal

Phone: 413 883-3144