[RE-wrenches] 120% Rule on subpanel or main

eric at harvesthesun.com eric at harvesthesun.com
Thu Mar 31 10:47:13 PDT 2016

Hi Wrenches,

I know I have seen this somewhere before but can't seem to locate it in the archives. Recently and AHJ rejected our plans because, although we were compliant with the 120% rule applied to the busbar on the existing sub which was our solar PCC, the existing breaker feeding the existing sub (our PCC) exceeded the 120% as it applied to the bus in the main. I was under the impression that the 120% applies to the bus at the PCC and that existing equipment "downstream" or "upstream" of the PCC need not be retrofitted to comply with the 120% rule (conductor ampacity aside).

Cheers,

Eric Stikes
Founding Director & CEO
Good Sun Solar, A CA non-profit corp.