[RE-wrenches] Frozen T-105s

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Dec 3 21:31:37 PST 2015

Basically I would try to save the batteries and sell this guy what he
really needs: a better system.
Obviously there is no LVD, and so this whole sad story of 8 v out of
48v, and frozen electrolyte (more like just water).
He needs a real inverter/ charger and put all his loads on AC or at
least get an LVD on the DC loads.
Then once you've solved the root cause, you talk batteries as a phase 2.
I've seen frozen batteries recover.  First thaw with some kind of
heater, and then get them charged back up.
This is a 120% over discharge, and the battery will be damaged very
quickly if not recharged.
They are recoverable, but lost some life.  Now the clock is ticking.
  He should be able to limp these along and start saving for a new set
before next winter.
And you will have another loyal customer.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician