[RE-wrenches] Frozen T-105s

John Blittersdorf john.blittersdorf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 20:01:20 PST 2015

Bill,
   I have had some good luck recharging frozen cells but sometimes it takes
a long time to get the cells to thaw and not much charging happens until
they become liquid.  If there is a way to get the batteries into a heated
space for awhile, or you luck out and have some warm weather, then the
process can be expedited.  Most of my experience is at a remote transmitter
site that was underpowered with solar and had a failing generator.  I would
hike up there, start the backup gasoline generator and let it run a tank of
gas.  Eventually, the batteries would return to service though they were
already mostly worn out and there was no way to determine what percentage
of the low capacity was due to age, abuse or the freezing.  I was surprised
we didn't have more cracks (only one out of 12 had any leakage issues.  I
would guess these batteries (Interstate L16s')  went through at least 10 or
more freezing events as they had frozen cells almost every time I checked
them that year.  Since then, we tripled the solar (now 4kw, replaced the
batteries with 16 Interstate L16's, and put in a new Generac EcoGen 6kw and
the site has run flawlessly for almost a year with only a few maintenance
visits to check the electrolyte levels and oil level in the generator. We
have been collecting data with the OutBack OpticsRE monitoring system and
after a year of literally going up there every other day to keep the site
up, I enjoy taking a look at the graphs every morning and saying to myself,
that's the way a system should work.

John Blittersdorf
Central Vermont Solar & Wind.