[RE-wrenches] Current limiting fuse at battery bank

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Oct 22 18:46:23 PDT 2015

I agree installing a fuse at the battery bank is a good idea. However
actually doing it right is tough.  Putting the  class T fuse and holder
in a battery enclosure with flooded cells is going to cause more trouble
than it solves.  I've seen class T fuses oozing green goo out the ends,
and the fuse holder contacts get corroded to the point that they are
causing significant volt drop.
If it is installed outside, then you need an enclosure.  Then there is
the requirement that fuses be serviceable, requiring disconnects on both
sides.  The Boltswitch pullout system solves that problem, but then you
have to custom fabricate an enclosure for the Boltswitch disconnect.
End of story, is we aren't usually ever installing that fuse at the
battery.   Instead we keep the distance from the DC Load center to the
battery as close as possible.  The number one danger is a wrench falling
across the battery terminals, and neither the breaker or a class T fuse
at the main terminal is going to stop that.  We would need fusing at
each exposed positive terminal of each battery to truly protect against
short circuits.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,