[RE-wrenches] Current limiting fuse at battery bank

Allan Sindelar allan at sindelarsolar.com
Thu Oct 22 19:20:18 PDT 2015

Tom,
Agree with Ray here. But more than that, if you consider a class T fuse good practice, include it. But do no more than offer it when you work on others' systems. The homeowner usually won't see the value in the same way that you do, it won't affect the system 's performance unless there's a catastrophic failure, and you risk being seen as someone they don't know trying to pad a sale with added bells and whistles.

I haven't checked in recent years, but the original Heinemann GJ breakers in 175 and 250A ratings had 10,000A AIC, which is difficult to achieve with normal cable and terminal resistances. Yes, the class T fuse in a Boltswitch pull-out disconnect offers better AIC protection than a CB, but the industry went the CB route about 15 years ago.