[RE-wrenches] Current limiting fuse at battery bank

Tom Ruscitti truscitti at taitem.com
Thu Oct 22 18:26:33 PDT 2015

On battery based systems I always install a Class T fuse as close to the
battery bank as possible. 690.71(C) is a little vague in requiring a
current limiting fuse only where the available short-circuit current
from the battery bank exceeds the interrupting ratings of the inverter
breaker. Inverter breakers vary in their interrupting ratings and
battery banks are big current sources when things go wrong, so it's just
a sensible best practice. My question is about service work on systems
we didn't install. We're quoting the second job this year for battery
replacement where there is no current limiting fuse installed. It's
always a tough question to judge what extra work might be required when
you touch another contractor's system, but does anyone have an opinion
about recommending or requiring the installation of a fuse at the
battery box as part of the battery replacement?

Thanks,

- Tom

--
Tom Ruscitti