[RE-wrenches] AGS sensitive battery charger

Windsine Inc. info at windsine.org
Thu Oct 15 16:45:51 PDT 2015

Sorry boB, I retract my advice then :-)

Ive done it fine (I do like to use big filter caps on the input to clean up
ripple) and keep close tabs on whats going on.

My listeroid has been running into an MX60  for many years (7 or 8 years)
without issues at around 3kw into 48v bank, and has proved to be the most
reliable way to couple a generator that I know of (for what its worth).

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM, boB at midnitesolar.com <boB at midnitesolar.com>
wrote:

> We are not really advocating doing this.  It can cause nightmares in
> service and support.
>
> If one really knows what they are doing, it can be done (and has been
> done) but mere mortals should not
> be attempting to do this.
>
> I would get a real AC to DC charger.  If  IOTA isn't good enough, maybe
> Magnum's is
> ready or did I hear that the big  "X" has had one or two of these for
> quite some time now ?
>
> Power factor corrected even ?
>
> boB
>

> On 10/15/2015 4:20 PM, Roy Rakobitsch wrote:
>
> The midnite classic 250 can do this fine. Rectify the generator 110vac to
> around 165vdc and feed into classic. Use Aux functions to start and stop
> generator based on battery voltage or SOC %.
>
> Roy Rakobitsch
> NABCEP Certified Small Wind Installer®
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer®
> Certified Advanced Tower Climbing, Safety & Rescue
> Wind/PV Design Engineer
> Windsine LLC
> 631-514-4166
> www.windsine.org
> On Oct 15, 2015 6:15 PM, "Chris Daum" <chris at oasismontana.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear people:
>>
>> I'm looking for an easy solution for battery charging off a generator,
>> but trying to save the cost of a big inverter.  I have a customer who needs
>> to charge a 48V battery bank with a 30A charger off of a generator--but I
>> need it to sense when the battery voltage is low, so that the "device"
>> (charger) will automatically turn on the (2-wire start) generator and
>> charge the batteries.  I am trying to avoid the cost of, say, a Magnum
>> 4448PAE with its AGS module, and just get a voltage sensitive battery
>> charger.  Is this doable?  Any ideas?
>>
>> THANKS.
>>

>> Chris Daum
>> Oasis Montana Inc.
>> 406-777-4309
>> 406-777-0830 fax
>> www.oasismontana.com

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Windsine Inc.
PO Box 295
Westhampton, NY 11977
www.Windsine.org
(631) 514-4166

information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in
whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by
and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not
constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a
contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of
sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers
of data to third parties.