[RE-wrenches] Mate Drop and Charge Functions

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sun Jul 12 11:19:54 PDT 2015

Todd, wrenches:

I should have known this thread would bring up the broader issue of human interface. I believe in two levels of interface: user and installer. The drop and charge functions are installer level. Gen start and EQ are user. The installer items should be password protected. The problem is exacerbated by the nearly identical appearance of the gen-start, drop and charge screens.

Outback claims they can't make these changes because the memory is full. If true, I advocate reducing the lines of code by eliminating the drop and charge functions altogether.    These functions can be performed with circuit breakers.   Should this is accomplished I will systematically upgrade all of my customer's Mates.

This complaint extends to the manuals. The industry writes terrible manuals. I rewrite all of the manuals and produce a highly condensed user manual with detachable, laminated instructions for common tasks.

William