[RE-wrenches] Module defect? Cell interconnections

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Mon Jun 22 11:39:55 PDT 2015

I've seen similar on what I considered to be some "low grade" modules used
on a project in Peru.  Returning them / doing anything about it wasn't an
option due to the remote nature, but I sure didn't like it.  Best case, you
lose a tiny bit of current due to cell coverage; worst case is internal
arcing at some point during their life.  I have to imagine this is outside
of the mfg's spec/tolerances, though I question how they got through
quality control, and I wouldn't want to put them on my roof for the next
several decades.  Drunk/tired robots I suppose...

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org