[RE-wrenches] tesla powerwall

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 9 09:01:26 PDT 2015

Tesla is is not the only game in town, and is prominent only because of its
spokesperson. There are a number of smart battery companies in the market,
Sharp, Panasonic, GE:

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/print/volume-18/issue-3/feature
s/solar-and-energy-storage/quantifying-returns-does-energy-storage-coupled-w
ith-pv-offer-big-savings.html

And for those of us using Enphase hardware, they are coming out with an "AC
Battery" in about the same time frame as Tesla, Q2 of 2016. From the picture
in their brochure, it just mounts on the wall and plugs into the trunk cable
with the connectors we're all familiar with:

http://enphase.com/sites/default/files/Enphase-AC-Battery-Brochure-1.pdf

Stacked in multiples of 1.2 kWh capacity, they are certainly not for an
independent system but they are a response to the utilities' demand charges
for less than 100% peak generation. In our area, that will only require 2 or
3 (at who knows what price). That is the battle we are fighting in Kansas
right now.

Bill Dorsett