[RE-wrenches] Apprentice interview

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Apr 30 12:06:51 PDT 2015

Hi Luke;

I would say that the ability to think is the primary attribute I'm
looking for, and the difference between an apprentice and a laborer.  It
is indeed rare.  Most folks really just don't soak up much of the
knowledge we're trying to pass on, either due to lack of interest or
lack of background.  They're going to need to put in some study time on
their own, reading Solar Pro, Homepower, the RE Wrenches list, the NEC
code, product brochures, manuals, PV Design books, and then ask lots of
questions when they come back to work.
As mentioned before, living off grid is a crash course in this subject;
you've got to understand what's going on with the system or you'll soon
be sitting in the dark. It creates an innate desire to study up on the
subject.  I have some very well informed customers that will not suffer
talking to fools.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,