[RE-wrenches] Apprentice interview

Michael Morningstar mjmorningstar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:40:52 PDT 2015

Having gone through a traditional five year electrical apprenticeship, almost thirty years ago, and working as a foreman on large industrial projects, I came to know hundreds and hundreds of apprentices. Some were fresh out of high school while others were making a mid-life career change. There are, in my opinion, two types of candidates that are almost guaranteed to make ace mechanics, or as a friend used to say “A journeyman’s dream”. The first is a young person fresh off the ranch. Clean, polite, and not afraid of work.
Most likely, his or her parents instilled many of the values and attitudes we are looking for. There’s a good chance they have mechanical skills. The second type of candidate is someone who is already a tradesperson doing craftsmanship level work. At 35, I took a five year break from AE/Electrical work and went through a five year long traditional Japanese carpentry apprenticeship. I landed the gig because my sponsor had seen how I worked, and the level of work I was doing. With very few exceptions, he only hired young men who’s families lived and worked in the woods. I survived (it was a brutal apprenticeship) only because of what I brought from my past trade. Funny, after the 2007 meltdown, that work dried up and I went back into business with one of my “teachers” as my apprentice. He was hands down the best I’ve ever had. Too bad it only lasted a few years.

Having said all this, I’ve pretty much winded down my career and business for lack of good help. Two weeks ago, a young client of mine’s wife insisted on helping me wire their new barn. She grabbed two bundles of 1/2” emt, shouldered them, and then squatted to pick up a box of fittings AND the cordless bandsaw.  She was awesome. She also grew up on a local ranch.

Michael Morningstar