[RE-wrenches] Aquion batteries - batteries in general

Bill Hennessy bill at berkssolar.com
Tue Feb 17 13:37:31 PST 2015

Greg--I've attached a link to East Penn Manufacturing (aka Deka or MK Batteries) recycling brochure. They have the largest battery plant in the world and recycle 200 million pounds of lead and 11 million pounds of plastic a year in their battery production. We live near them and we're in an area littered with superfund sites, but their commitment to the environment is impressive. Maybe cuz they're privately held. I don't work for them or benefit financially from them.
http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/wp-content/uploads/Recycling-Brochure-0103.pdf
That said, Aquion is producing a battery without using lead. The price tag is much higher and the batteries come with only a two-year warranty. I haven't seen anything on their site as to how one could tell if a battery is underperforming. Our systems are almost always grid-tie with battery backup, so reduced maintenance and long shelf life are the drivers--agm or gel.
With their ability to function with a partial state of charge, Aquions would do well in a distributed generation scenario and provide great support  for frequency and load managing. Imagine the net metering possibilities.
 Bill Hennessy
Berks Solar, LLC
371 Centennial Rd
Mertztown, PA 19539