[RE-wrenches] Aquion batteries - batteries in general

Greg greg at remotepowerinc.com
Tue Feb 17 10:56:20 PST 2015

Marco and all wrenches,

Thanks for the cost /benefit comparison on batteries.  We need batteries
that won't freeze easily.  Even if the cost was the same we'd need to
know more about the Aquions before we could risk installing them in the
North.

I need a fact check from someone on Lead Acids:  Years ago I'd heard
that lead acid batts sold in the US were built from 90+% recycled
materials.  Supposedly there was somewhere in California that put them
in a big mixer and busted them up.  Plastic floated to the top and was
recycled, lead went to the bottom, also recycled. Electrolyte was also
at least partially recycled.  If this is true it would make the lead
acids relatively benign since no new smelting would be needed.  Any
recent info/links on lead acid battery recycling in the US would be
greatly appreciated

I like lead acids.  There's a little booklet from New England Solar
Electric called "BATTERY BOOK FOR YOUR PV HOME" that I give away with
each set of batteries we sell.  It doesn't completely cure premature
battery death from neglect but I think it helps a lot. They're
inexpensive and if you buy them by the dozen they'll cut you a deal on
them.

Keep using your super powers for good!

Greg Egan
Remote Power Inc.