[RE-wrenches] TL Inverters & Rapid Shutdown

Mark Westbrock westbrock at positiveenergysolar.com
Mon Jan 19 06:47:16 PST 2015

Hi Greg,

*Re: SPS integrated outlet*
We have not had any inspectors take issue with the SPS, and we have
installed dozens of them.  The SPS is completely isolated from the
electrical system of the rest of the house and the grid.  As you know, our
city inspectors here have a pretty high level of attention to detail, but
once it was explained to them, they had no problem with it.

*Re: Rapid Shutdown function*
We had a meeting with SMA about this last week, and we are hoping to see
the introduction (with pricing and availability) by next week.  They
explained that theirs may be the only rapid shutdown device on the market
that uses DC instead of AC for the control circuit.  Because of this, if
the grid goes down, the device will continue to operate with the NO
contactors closed and thus the SPS circuit may still be utilized. Of
course, if the rapid shutdown function is engaged, then the SPS will be
deenergized.  Installer will need to run a communications cable up to the
roof, so either 600V rated CAT5 cable in your DC conduit, or a separate
conduit.

I hope all is well with you down in Texas.

Cheers,

Mark

----
*Mark Westbrock*