[RE-wrenches] TL Inverters & Rapid Shutdown

Gregory Seelhorst gseelhorst at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:07:48 PST 2015

Wrenches -

I wanted to bring up the topic of SMA TL inverters, SPS outlets, and Rapid
Shutdown function.   In light of some AHJs where the 2014 NEC is already in
effect, I would appreciate how anyone has insight on how to address the
topics below:

*Re: SPS integrated outlet* - Citing 2014 NEC 690.61 and 690.10(B), is
there any resistance to SMA's Technical paper on the topic (
http://files.sma.de/dl/18726/EPS-US-TB-en-11.pdf) and what is being done to
appease them or make corrections any notices.

Also would appreciate if you have suggestions on warning placards (to the
effect of ‘this outlet only works when the switch is in the ‘ON’ position,
inverter will not backfeed in the ‘OFF’ position), please contact me
off-line if you like.

*Re: Rapid Shutdown function* – Regarding the new Rapid Shutdown capability
function (http://files.sma.de/dl/18726/EPSCompl-US-TB-en-14W.pdf) which
complies with 690.12; Question, *can or must this be used in conjunction
with the SPS?*  Just wanted clarification of this functionality.

My understanding is that if other Rapid Shutdown devices (DC contactors,
Midnite Solar relays, etc.) are used, the SPS function can not be used.  My
question is that *if the Rapid Shutdown function is optional or a
requirement when deploying the SPS function.*

Regards,
Greg Seelhorst