[RE-wrenches] wire sizing question

Larry larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Jan 2 14:10:18 PST 2015

Jay,

Divide inverter capacity by LVD then divide by full load efficiency.
Example: 4000 Watt inverter shuts down at 42 volts, efficiency 85% =
4000/42 = 95A/.85 = 111 Amps. Then it depends on the insulation and
conductor type and the corrections for ambient temp.

How can you not consider voltage drop? This is important for the surge
capability of inverters. If the battery-inverter run is long you could
have significant voltage drop for a wire correctly rated for ampacity.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems