[RE-wrenches] wire sizing question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Jan 2 10:33:13 PST 2015

We just always use 4/0 X flex cable with a 250 amp breaker, and call it
good.  (2/0 with a 175 A breaker)
If you want to make life really hard, you can look at the trip curve of
the breaker (Heinnemans have 3 different trip curves depending on the
model I believe) and then do all the normal NEC sizing calcs (conduit
fill, etc), end up buying 250 MCM that isn't flexible, break off a
battery terminal trying to land the cable, then possibly damage a
breaker trying to land it in the enclosure, not to mention figuring out
how to get 250 MCM to land on those lugs, so you special order some type
of reducing lug......
Actually, I just checked the MTW X flex we use, and its rated to 105 C,
so that helps, although the temp rating of the terminals on the Midnite
Breakers is only 75 C.
One other thing, the batteries usually aren't UL listed anyway, so at
least part of the circuit is already falling into NEC grey area anyway.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician