[RE-wrenches] wire sizing question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Jan 2 14:12:17 PST 2015

Some other things:  If you keep the conduit less than 24" long, which is
recommended anyway for main battery connections, the conduit fill
requirements don't apply. (see exception: 310.15(B)3a2)
Using table 310.15(B)16 yeilds 230 amps for 4/0 at 75 C.  Then 240.6
lists 250 amp as the next standard size of OCPD which is allowed to be
used by 240.4(B)  So you can just justify 4/0.
Further, many manufacturers (like Midnite) use the open air ampacity
table: 310.15(B)17, since the cable is not "in conduit" and 4/0 cable at
75 C is rated to 360 amps.
The Free Air interpretation is not completely substantiated in the code
from my read of it though.  Maybe someone more knowledgable could cite
the chapter and verse that defines when the free air rating can and
cannot be used.
Also remember those breakers are 100% duty cycle rated, and that the
inverter usually can't run any where close to 250 amps continuously.
Bottomline is we've been using 4/0 with 250 amp breakers for almost 20
years, and I've never seen or heard of a problem.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician