[RE-wrenches] Flashed Roof-attachment systems

William Miller william.miller at millersolar.com
Wed Aug 5 15:30:55 PDT 2015

Friends:

We have been using the Eco-Fasten flashings for comp roofs.  We have a few
complaints:

1.    We have been using the Eco-Fasten blocks and Unirac serrated L-feet.
There is not enough room below the foot to install the neoprene washer, the
block, the bonded washer, the washer, the lock washer and the nut.  The
L-foot runs into the nut.

2.    The flashing is not wide enough (12" high by 8" wide).  If the
flashing ends up on the split between two 3-tab shingles there is an obvious
leak path.

3.    The company does not offer a decent cut-sheet.  This is crucial to the
permit authoring process.

4.    We can't seem to get the rail height correct.  We would prefer about
4" to the top of the rail.

a.    The L102-3 results in a rail height of 3".

b.    The L102-6 is 6" rail height-this is too high.

c.    The block with the Unirac serrated L-foot results in 3-3/4", but the
combination of parts does not really fit and it is expensive.

We have also tried the Iron Ridge and it seems to offer some improvements:

1.    The flashing is larger (12" by 12").

2.    The rail height is about 3-1/4", still a little low.

I posted some photos and comments on our web site:

http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/Flashed_roof_attachments
/FlashedRoofAttachements.html

Do any of you have any suggestions for a flashed foot system with a rail
height of about 4" and a wider flashing?  Do any of you have any comments on
products you like or don't like for our review?

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985