[RE-wrenches] line shading

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 08:42:01 PDT 2015

Hello esteemed wrenches,

I have a client who wants a ground mounted array. He has field with his
power line running east-west across it to a pole with his meter on it
and then buried conduit to his house. Because of the size of the array
it makes sense to do a line side input at the pole.

The field slopes down to a river, so we would like to stay back from the
lowlands to avoid flooding and saturated soil. The problem is that the
really high ground is to the north of the power line.

Is there any received wisdom out there about how far to put modules from
a power line to avoid line shading? I know that we can check the
solstice sun angles against the wire height and top and bottom heights
of the array. But if the array ends up inside that angle range, how far
away does it have to be for that shadow to interfere into a non-issue?

Thanks,

Hilton

--
Hilton Dier III