[RE-wrenches] Grundfos SQFlex

Brian Teitelbaum bteitelbaum at aeesolar.com
Mon Oct 20 19:24:03 PDT 2014

Hi Ron,

What you describe with using a pressure switch and pressure tank, and just
running the pump with 240 VAC, is fine. You don't need the CU-200 to do
any of that, if all you are doing is switching AC. The diagnostics is
nice, but probably not worth the cost in this kind of simple setup.

One issue though. The SQFlex pumps are not exactly instant-on. There is a
slight delay between when power is applied and the pump starts. Just make
sure that you use a large enough pressure tank to keep the pressure from
dropping too far before the pump starts filling it. You may have to raise
the starting pressure on the switch a little above where you set the
minimum pressure, to let it fall some at startup.

When it becomes time to replace the pump (hopefully many years from now),
I would just go with a Grundfos SQ straight AC pump instead of the Flex
model. If you are not going to be using a PV-direct arrangement, there is
not much advantage in using the Flex pumps.

Brian Teitelbaum
AEE solar