[RE-wrenches] Wire management devices

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Oct 13 08:27:51 PDT 2014

Christopher:

I believe strongly that the code requirement to protect PV wires from
unauthorized personnel is justified.  Ground mount arrays are essentially
jungle gyms and could attract children to climb.  If a 50 pound child
inadvertently swings on a PV cable across a sharp metal edge the insulation
could easily be compromised.  The current limited nature of PV means the
current will sink through the short until the short is opened, leaving up to
600 volts at fatal amperage exposed to the touch.  Inadequate ground fault
interruption technology does little to prevent the problem.

You cannot legally install a convenience receptacle at any height above
ground with the individual conductors exposed, so why should one be allowed
to install PV with individual conductors readily accessible?

I grant you that shielding PV wiring on a ground mount is a difficult
process.  It is very unfortunate that the industry has been allowed to
evolve without developing decent wire management hardware in the process.

If you are not aware of the work we have done on wire management solutions,
you might visit our website where we share all of our ideas.  We are giving
away trade secrets, but I feel a moral obligation to help everyone in the
industry deliver a safe product.

Most sincerely,

William Miller

Lic 773985