[RE-wrenches] TL inverter with long DC Feeder

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:57:33 PDT 2014

I don't understand the reference to Arc-Flash. Arc-flash ratings are
dependent on high current potential, typically above 700 amp short circuit
current. I don't think you can get an arc flash from a solar system as
solar is inherently current limited.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 2:40 PM, William Miller <william at millersolar.com>
wrote:

> Wrenches:
>

> We are getting up to speed on using transformer-less inverters.  I have
> advocated long for the additional safety offered by these inverters but I
> am realizing the trade-offs with the new technology:  The implementation
> gets more complicated with the requirement for PV wire, OCPD and
> disconnecting means for plus and minus and plus providing  Arc Flash rated
> equipment.
>

> I am currently designing a system that will locate the PV about 400 feet
> from the residence.  The system will utilize 2 Solectria 5200 watt
> inverters at the residence.  I would like to provide disconnecting means
> for the 4 strings at the array, in case of any needed service or
> excavating.  Preferably I’d like the disconnecting means to be deployable
> by a lay person (i.e. the gardener).
>

> Finding an 8 pole, arc flash, 600 VDC rated disconnect is not easy.  I
> could install an Outback 8 circuit combiner with 8 touch-safe fuse
> holders.  The new combiners have had dead-fronts for a while now.  The
> gardener needs only to have a Philips screw driver to open this cover.  Any
> better ideas out there?
>

> Thanks,
>

> William
>

> [image: Gradient Cap_mini]
> Lic 773985
> millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
> 805-438-5600

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts