[RE-wrenches] Modules over vents

Kurt Johnsen kjenergysystems at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 10:16:45 PDT 2014

Should you decide to lower your plumbing vents I have found an inside pipe
cutter to be an inexpensive and handy tool. Cut the vent and lead off an
inch above your desired pipe height and use the inside cutter to cut the
pvc pipe. Go slow and be careful to keep air space between the pvc and lead
as the lead will cut very easily.

Also I wouldn't rely on us well intentioned wrenches to make the call on
the plumbing code in your jurisdiction. Though the state plumbing codes are
usually based on the international code, there will be differences. If you
can't pull up your state plumbing code online then ask your plumbing
inspector. In Florida the minimum height above a roof surface is 6"
(904.1). As for relocating 905.2 states that “all vent and branch vent
pipes shall be so graded and connected as to drain back to the drainage
pipe by gravity”. Table 710.1(1) shows that for 1.5” pipe a slope of ¼” per
foot is sufficient to handle 3 fixtures. I would take that to indicate ¼” /
foot is plenty for a 1.5” vent.