[RE-wrenches] Gin Pole

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.com
Wed Jul 30 07:01:46 PDT 2014

On 7/30/2014 8:37 AM, Mac Lewis wrote:
> I am considering a service call that requires dropping a 60' guyed wind
> turbine tower.  I am comfortable checking out turbines, but I've never
> dropped or erected one.  The original installer is no longer in business
> in the area.  I am trying to figure out the best way to do this.
>   According to the owner, originally a gin pole was used to erect the
> tower.  How tall should a gin pole be in order to drop a 60' tower?
>   I've been doing internet research and it seems doable (and fun).  What
> info do I need about the site to do this properly and safely?

Mac,

if you have never done tilt over tower work, you don't want to learn on
a customer system. Especially one that doesn't have correct hardware
with it. Your likelihood of dropping the tower and turbine will be high.
I would recommend subbing it to someone that has done this type of work
before.

Or rent a manlift and do your work in the air.

If you do decide to do it yourself, keep yourself and anything of value
out of the danger zone. Tilt over towers can be quite dangerous and
anyone that has worked around them will have stories of them falling.
You are at a double dis-advantage having no experience and not knowing
if this one was laid out correctly.

Best of luck. Stay safe.

-James Jefferson Jarvis
APRS World, LLC