[RE-wrenches] Split bolt

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Jun 25 16:33:33 PDT 2014

I also quit doing split bolts, after I had one on an array that wasn't
tightened enough, and it got hot melted the tape.  I found it looking
for a 3 v drop.
Not only are they hard and time consuming to tape, you can't check them
later either for voltage or tightness.  I've use both the piercing tap
connectors as in your situation, or the Polaris type.  I love the
Polaris type connector as they are easily reversible, and you can check
voltage through the little crew hole.  They're pricey though, but not
near the cost of a call back.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,