[RE-wrenches] Tapping a main breaker

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Jun 25 11:44:53 PDT 2014

Friends:

Excuse the flurry of posts here, but I've got a lot of varied projects
currently, creating a lot of questions.

I came upon a 200 amp main breaker feeding two sub-panels.  The installer
had put 3/0 and #1 under each lug to feed a 200 amp panel another sub-panel
with a 100 amp main.  Obviously this is wrong in at least two regards.

What is the correct method to feed two 200 amp sub-panels from one main.
Can you tap the output leads of the main breaker to feed 2 200 amp panels as
long as the wire is sized correctly and the connector is listed?  In my 35
years I have never come upon this scenario.

Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate your sage advice.

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>