[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling Relays

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 08:59:24 PDT 2014

Hi Drake,

I think you can put a power diode in parallel to the gt inverter that can
conduct that inductive current if you need to.  However, I think BoB is
correct, there should just be induction of the wiring itself for most
grid-tied inverter.  The relay engineer recommended this diode for a DC
load break application I recently had, so I assume AC would be the same.

Thanks

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM, boB at midnitesolar.com <boB at midnitesolar.com>
wrote:

> Since grid-tie inverters sell back with a power factor of 1, the load
> ~should~ be entirely resistive and
> not inductive or capacitive so a appropriately rated relay contacts
> ~should~ be fine.
>
> Except maybe if the inverter is designed to supply VARs like the last
> Solar-Pro magazine talks about.
> (haven't actually read that article yet but I assume that's what it is
> about)
>
> Of course, others may have different experiences so I would listen to them.
>
> I prefer to use a somewhat over-rated relay.
>
> boB
>

> On 6/16/2014 7:05 AM, Drake wrote:
>
> Hello Wrenches,
>
> Do the relays that break the current from the direct grid tie inverters,
> in AC coupled systems, need to be motor rated or can they simply be rated
> for the amperage of the inverter output? How inductive is the current
> between the two inverter systems? Will the current tend to jump the
> contacts on a non motor rated relay, or burn them out prematurely?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Drake
>

> Drake Chamberlin
>

> *Athens Electric LLC OH License 44810 CO License 3773 NABCEP Certified
> Solar PV 740-448-7328 <740-448-7328> *http://athens-electric.com/

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*