[RE-wrenches] Racking System - Identification Help

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Tue Jun 3 11:03:37 PDT 2014

I'd hate to speak for the engineers, but usually they do a CYA by saying
that the contractor is responsible for assessing whether the structure is
adequate, which usually is a satisfactory exclusion accepted by AHJs. Of
course that shifts the risk to the contractor.

>From a practical standpoint, you can say the same thing about the truss to
header attachment or even the header to wall attachment (especially if not
concrete). The truth of the matter is that when a devastating storm hits,
all that's left are sticks (
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/08/remembering_katrina_five_years.html).
Local anecdotal evidence from Hurricane Charley suggests that solar panels
(mostly solar pool heating) had no impact on whether a roof stays on or
not. We saw panels ripped off and we saw completely intact roofs knocked
off with panels still attached. I wish we had more pictures, but it was
pretty chaotic and that was the last thing on our minds.

Given that we make all kinds of other assumptions about existing structures
and systems anyway, I am pretty comfortable with the risk/reward tradeoff
with a sheathing-only attachment method as long as we have a reasonable
analysis from an engineer.

Jason