[RE-wrenches] Racking System - Identification Help

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 09:21:12 PDT 2014

All - There have been many products over the years that were engineered to
fasten to roof sheathing only (remember BP Integra and SunPower
SmartMount?), and I can certainly buy that their engineered uplift ratings
are legit in terms of the strength of the connection between the sheathing
and the racking system, but my concern is about the strength of the
connection between the sheathing and the roof framing system.  Similar to
using S-5!'s clips, I don't see how we can really trust those footings
without knowing the details (e.g. fastener number and type) of the roof /
rafter connection, and those details can be very tough to access for built
structures.

I think this has been discussed on this list previously, but I would be
very curious to hear if there have been any new developments in how
designers approach this issue.

Jason - How do you're engineers handle this challenge in those hurricane
wind zones in Florida, where roofs can fly off even without having a bunch
of sails mounted to them?

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt

Principal
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting, LLC

(202) 486-7507

LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713>

Company Website <http://truittreconsulting.weebly.com/>

NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional ID: 032407-66

Colorado Journeyman Electrician License No.: 600132

 <%28202%29%20486-7507>

[image: 24 copy.jpg]

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough