[RE-wrenches] Sheeting-attached roof mount

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Tue Jun 3 09:08:34 PDT 2014

Friends:

I see two issues:  Strength and sealing:

Strength:  I have researched sheeting attached roof mounts.  Direct Power
has their "Easy-feet" product.  It relies on a specific fastener made in
Canada.  I contacted the screw manufacturer and they disputed the claims DPW
made.  Their testing was for a minimum 1" penetration in wood.  You can't
get 1" penetration in 5/8" of sheeting.  Also, I don't believe that OSB can
hold a screw like solid wood or even standard laminate plywood.

I reported this to DPW.  They were concerned enough to call me back.  They
claim they will be doing their own pullout testing and in fact it was going
to be available in the near future.  I don't know if they have completed it
yet.  I know DPW to be highly reputable, so please don't think I am
impugning their products, just reporting what I discovered.

Sealing:  to flash or not to flash.  That is the question. that has been
discussed in this forum before.  With any hole in the roof, I need to
satisfy myself and I need to satisfy any roofer who holds a warranty on the
roof.  I have made enough holes in roofs to make me loose a night's sleep
with each first season storm.  The cost of one roof leak can erase the
profit from 5 installations or more.  If you add up: removing the system for
repairs, drywall damage, insulation replacement, carpet, furnishings,
artwork, etc., you soon realize there is no room for doubt.  A qualified
roofer will have the same concerns and economic interests and I doubt they
will allow a non-flashed roof mount.

We have been discussing amongst our crews some method to flash a
sheeting-attached mounting foot.  We never finished the design.  Is there a
flashed, sheeting-attached mounting foot on the market?  If so, I'm a
possible customer.  If not, I can't take the risk.

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>