[RE-wrenches] SI6048s won't charge from generator

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Tue May 6 21:59:35 PDT 2014

Friends:

Here is the update on this problem, in case anyone needs to know in the
future:

We reluctantly left the generator running all weekend,  Monday morning we
fired the system up again.  We had swapped which inverter was Master on
Friday, so Monday we swapped back to the preferred Master and re-ran the
quick configuration.  Inexplicably, the system immediately connected to the
generator and began charging.  We still don't know what caused the problem.

It must not have been the fact we started the generator from the generator
control.  It must not have been the extra neutral connected between the Gen
Fed panel and the Main panel for bypass.  It would have been unfortunate if
the cause of the problem had been either scenario because we need these two
functions:  1. to be able to start the generator from the generator control
and, 2. we must have bypass capabilities.

SMA tech support is reviewing the history log to see if they can figure this
out.  If I learn more, I will let you know.  I always assume that someday
someone may have the same problems I have had so I want the searchable
record to be complete.

Thanks for the help.

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini