[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again (is sealant code defensible?)

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Apr 11 14:14:47 PDT 2014

Hi Ray,

Ten plus years ago, I observed this one thermal installation which also
used the Oatey flexible gasket. Most all the 80's era installs had
seriously deteriorated gaskets _except_ this one where the homeowner had
painted everything with latex paint. That gasket was not deteriorated
and was still flexible. That small UV film barrier was really beneficial.

Automotive CV boots are available with a split for replacement use. I'm
told that if you allow the glue to dry properly (without moving the
steering wheel) it works as good as the non split model. I would not be
surprised if a similar product exists for plumbing/electrical
penetrations. With paint, that should be the last gasket replacement.

Good luck all,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094