[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again (is sealant code defensible?)

Benn Kilburn benn at skyfireenergy.com
Fri Apr 11 14:13:35 PDT 2014

I would have to definitely lean towards using flashings as a default and
have been doing so now for several years.  Last project i wanted to use
flashings on and couldn't was in 2010.  I couldn't because it was a 10-13
deg slope with asphalt shingles that were really good quality and made for
low slope and resistant to high wind, this meant that each course of
shingle was very well adhered to the course below it, to the point that it
was next to impossible to lift the shingles to insert a flashing.  I tried
everything short of using a heat gun or torch to warm them up first.

I cannot quote anything, but i believe that there is an issue with voiding
roof warranties if you do not flash a penetration.

Always make sure that the sealant you choose is compatible with the roof
and any other material it will contact.  I believe there was an issue years
ago where many installers were using a popular "sealant" that (if you read
the small print) was not compatible with asphalt shingles.

My sealant of choice these days is Henry 925.

I would be very interested to see, if anyone would be willing to share (on
or off-list), photos of any signs of leaking or leak damage caused by
failed roof penetrations.

Cheers,
Benn