[RE-wrenches] conductors and the 120% rule

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Wed Mar 5 10:40:30 PST 2014

Jason, this is the same rationale I have heard before-- and sadly
parroted myself before seeing the light-- but I agree that it's
inaccurate. 90.8(A) is the only "futureproofing" thing in the NEC that I
know of, but I take it as an "FYI, if you oversize now it allows for
easier expansion later" rather than a requirement. After all, no one
runs #4 for a 20A circuit within a 4" conduit on the assumption that
someone later may want to add 38 more conductors into that same raceway.
And if you trip a main breaker with the Tesla fast charger you just
installed in the garage, it's hard to blame the original electrician for
lack of foresight...

DKC