[RE-wrenches] Solaredge inverters w/ backup generator

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 14 05:28:14 PST 2014

Chris,

Even if a manufacturer agrees with you on incorporating an external shutdown option, don't expect near-term action, especially on existing models.  A modification of this nature obviously affects the hardware aspects of an inverter.  This alone mandates retesting of at least that aspect of the inverter by the NRTL that issued the original UL1741 certification.  If the change also involves software, retesting could be even more extensive.  Every model incorporating this feature would be affected.  It can take months of waiting in line before equipment can be submitted to a NRTL (depending on the backlog at the lab); and even more months after that for the lab to complete their product review and re-test.  If anything fails during the review/re-test process, the clock winds backwards - sometimes to the beginning (depending on the steps required to correct the flaw).

While an external "inverter disable" function may appear to be a very basic and straightforward addition, it's not.  In most cases, your request will be more easily incorporated into new designs that haven't yet been certified, than get it added to present production.

Personally, I think an "interlock" on a string system is a reasonable request, and likely to appear in future models from different manufacturers.  It's just going to take time.

Dan