[RE-wrenches] Solaredge inverters w/ backup generator

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 02:59:32 PST 2014

The "Door Open" switch is a very useful feature. I am trying to get Fronius
to put a digital shutdown terminal on its CL line of inverters, or all
inverters preferably. We need to pressure all the inverter manufacturers to
provide a logic in or dry contact method of shutdown.
Most ATS will provide a N/O dry to indicate position.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have done systems in Hawaii, here is one with a 30 k PV system and with
> a 250k Cummins back up genny. We have a contactor in the ATS that will open
> if the genny is operating, this in turn sends a door open signal to the
> Satcon shutting it down I don't want anything effecting the genset
> operation so with the open created in the ATS it tricks the inverter to
> shut off safely. We as a policy will not run a genset and PV unless as a AC
> coupling system and you have some active over voltage like freq and voltage
> triggers.
> Jerry
> On Feb 8, 2014 7:31 AM, "Kirk Herander" <kirk at vtsolar.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I recently posed the question to Solaredge tech support, wondering if
>> their inverter, in this case a 20kw 480 3-phase, would have any issues if
>> it were connected to an AC panel backed up by a generator. They told me no
>> problem, for the inverter's anti-islanding will work if it sees the
>> "generator frequency" and therefore will not try to push PV power to the
>> panel. But isn't 60 hz, 60hz regardless of origin? There's got to be more
>> to it than that. I question this because I asked the same to SMA several
>> years ago and they were hard-set against connecting Sunnyboys to a panel
>> with generator backup, so I always would establish the point of
>> interconnection upstream of the generator feed. Comments? Thanks.
>>

>> Kirk Herander
>>
>> VT Solar, LLC
>>
>> dba Vermont Solar Engineering
>>
>> NABCEPTM Certified Inaugural Certificant
>>
>> NYSERDA-eligible Installer
>>
>> VT RE Incentive Program Partner
>>
>> 802.863.1202

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org