[RE-wrenches] Computer Interfaces (was: morning star ts-mppt-60-600)

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 12 17:30:11 PST 2014

The Midnite Classic can be set with the onboard screen, and the Classic
Lite can be set with dip switches, but I actually prefer to pull both up
on the router in Windows. The software finds any Classics connected in a
few seconds, and its much easier to navigate and check all the settings
in a Windows interface.
It sounds like the Morningstar is similar, or doesn't even need the
router.  This is the future, not an inconvenience.

This was what I had always wished Outback had done with the Mate; its so
damned hard to navigate, where a Windows screen with tabs for each
category is simple to move around in.  The sign of a good interface is
not even needing to look at the manual, because its so intuitive.  As
our industry grows, there's just no longer an excuse for clunky
software, or costly additional interface equipment.
Outback now has the AXS interface;  but its not clear whether there is
an on board app or monitoring website that works with it.  Anyone up to
date on working with Outback equipment with a computer?

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician