[RE-wrenches] Off grid heat pumps

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Feb 4 11:45:37 PST 2014

I'd 2nd Hilton's comments.  Energy efficiency can reduce heating loads
to almost nothing.  The German standard "passive solar" design uses
almost R100 insulation, triple pane Lo E windows, doors with multiple
seals, and are so tight they require an air to air heat exchanger to
insure fresh air.  The occupants own body heat accounts for a large
percentage of the heating, and small amounts of passive solar gain do
the rest.
I've worked with a builder in Taos that is building to this standard,
and it works.

2nd,  If that's too extreme for the customer, they can utilize an active
solar thermal system that works in conjunction with floor heating.  With
efficient pumps and closed loop design, pumps only run in the day when
the sun is shinning anyway.
3rd, the old fashioned off grid method: air tight wood stove.  No
electric load, and we have a lot of beetle kill firewood that is being
turned into CO2 by decomposition already.  Might as well use it to heat
your home.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,