[RE-wrenches] Off grid heat pumps

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 11:28:51 PST 2014

I've done a couple of load profile studies for heat pumps and solar and
unless the load is primarily air conditioning it's a bad match. Ground
sourced heat pumps in general only pencil out if there is a big air
conditioning load.

The only time I'd recommend a heat pump with an off grid system is if
there was a wind turbine that massively over-produced in the winter. The
PV production curve is exactly backwards.

The clients should take half the money they would have spent on
installing a heat pump and do a thermal efficiency/passive solar
retrofit. Better ROI.

Best,

Hilton

--