[RE-wrenches] (RE-wrenches) 2x200 amp meter main panel question

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 23 14:31:46 PST 2014

William and John,

A "320" as it is affectionately called is a 400-amp panel with a 320-amp
continuous duty. This is identical to two 200-amp panels that each has a
160-amp continuous duty-that we put 40-amp breakers into on a routine basis.
The "busbars" are rated for 200-amps each, just like a 200-amp panel. But
just as you cannot run a 200-amp panel at 200-amps continuously (only
160-amps continuously), you cannot run a 400-amp panel at more than 320-amps
continuously-it is the exact same thing.

Bill.