[RE-wrenches] Busbar 120% rule

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:46:31 PDT 2014

I had a nice response all typed up before rediscovering my original
source. Simple answer: there's still a thermal load to deal with even
though there's no point on the bus seeing a current above the busbar
rating. I am a linking machine today:
http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/Photovoltaics/Codes-Stds/690.64(B)(2)Load%20Side%20Connections.pdf

/While this situation of connecting supply overcurrent devices at
opposite ends may be //
//safe for restricted conductors, it may not be suitable for busbars in
panel boards, even //
//though this allowance is in the 2008 NEC. Panel boards are subject to
busbar current //
//limitations and are also subject to thermal limitations due to the
heating associated with //
//the thermal trip elements in the common thermal/magnetic molded case
circuit breakers. //
//For example a 100-amp, 120/240V panel board is tested during the
listing process with a //
//100 amp main breaker and two 100-amp load breakers (one per phase)
mounted directly //
//below the main breaker. The ambient temperature is raised to 45
degrees Celsius, the //
//input and output currents are set at 100 amps, the temperature is
allowed to stabilize, //
//and the panel must pass this test with no deformation of any parts. If
we add a backfed //
//PV breaker pair, for example 50 amps, at the bottom of the panel, and
if the loads on the //
//panel were increased to 150 amps, no breakers would trip, no busbars
would be over //
//loaded, but the thermal load in the panel would be that associated
with 300 amps, not the //
//200 amps the panel was designed and listed for. Panel manufacturers
have stated that //
//these panels cannot pass UL listing tests with those excessive thermal
loads./