[RE-wrenches] DC Solenoid Coil Current

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 17:16:37 PST 2014

Larry,

A latching relay isn't suitable for fail-safe applications.

Look into the "Kilovac Czonka III EV200HAANA".  This series has a coil "economizer" that reduces coil current (and thus power consumption) after pull-in.  Rated coil power is less than 2 watts.  Models are good to 900Vdc and up to 500A.

Coil inrush current on one model I found is spec'd at 3.8 A for a 130 milliseconds, so you'd need an external transistor to drive it from the computer.  If power consumption is a critical aspect, use a suitable MOSFET.  If you don't mind wasting another watt or two, a bipolar NPN will also work.  The coil current throttles back to less than 100 mA at 12Vdc after contact closure.  Because a specialized electronic power supply is driving the coil, Kilovac rates the DC input to the coil driver at anything from 9Vdc to 36Vdc.

Here's the Allied page: http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70062411

Not cheap .. but excellent quality.  If you're a registered reseller with Allied, the $ is less.

Dan